Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Birthdays are Weird

Today is the day. The one day a year I get contacted by people I haven't heard from in a year. It's brought up a lot of issues in my mind today.
Do I respond to each individually?
Do I respond to the people who seem to have put some thought into their posts?
Do I wait until 12:01 tomorrow morning and post a general "Thank you" status?
Do I use the posts as an opportunity to rekindle old friendships?
That's part of the problem- I've tried that. In the past, someone would post on my wall with a generic "Happy Birthday" message, so I would respond with a thanks and ask how they've been doing. Only to realize they don't REALLY care about my life or birthday- they just wanted to post to let me know they still remember I exist thanks to Facebook reminding them that it's my birthday.

But all in all, birthdays are weird. I went to my first day of my summer class this morning and forgot it was my birthday. But then a friend walked in and told my happy birthday. And then the group of strangers I was sitting with were all "Oh it's your birthday? Happy birthday!" I don't know about you, but I find it odd that people who don't even know my name would wish me a happy birthday. Yes, it's the courteous and socially acceptable thing to do. But it's weird when you think about it.

All that being said, I've spent my day so far in class, at work, buying books, and doing homework. Other than my family coming down to take me to dinner, nothing is special about today. I kind of miss the childhood excitement of "YES! I'M ANOTHER YEAR OLDER!" That has kind of gone away now.

I'm old. Yay?

No comments:

Post a Comment